During the aforementioned lunch, I suddenly remembered ‘fridge cake’ which I last made when I was about 13/14 years old. I remember biscuits, butter, possibly golden syrup, all bashed up and put in a foil-lined tray in the fridge to chill with some melted chocolate on top. So…. I texted The Sister – but she had no recipe for it.
She did, however, have a recipe (from her mother-in-law) for ‘No-Bake Chocolate Crunch’ which seems very similar, and will be tried out tomorrow (in amongst the Bank Holiday spring clean, aquaerobics, charity shop trip, cooking hushpuppies etc. etc.).
4 oz marg
3 oz sugar
1 tbsp syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp milk
12 oz digestive biscuits (apparently you can’t buy these in the States – how odd!)
3 oz raisins
3 oz of cooking chocolate – melted.
1. Melt: marg, syrup, vanilla essence, sugar, cocoa, milk
2. Bring to the boil.
3. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
4. Add the crushed biscuits and raisins.
5. Pour into a shallow 7″ square tin.
6. Cover with melted chocolate.