This was very very nice….. no leftovers…
About 500g diced beef
Celery (3 sticks)
Garlic (2 cloves)
c. 1.5 pints of beef stock (2 cubes)
1. Garlic. Chop.
2. Onions. Chop.
3. Into the pan with garlic and onions. 2 mins. High heat (5-6 on the hob)
4. Add the beef. Stir until browned.
5. Add chopped celery and chopped carrots.
6. Add half the stock (you can probably add all in one go, but I did half, and then added the rest once it had disappeared) and turn down to 3-4. Cover.
7. Cook for 1-2 hours (I didn’t keep track – just pop in and check occasionally).
Make the dumplings:
100g SR flour
1/2 tsp of baking powder (I was a little too generous with this – closer to 1tsp = v.big dumplings!)
50g Atora Light Shredded Vegetable Suet
Herbs – Flat-leaf parsley was suggested in the recipe I started from, but didn’t have any and so used dried rosemary. This was OK, but probably will experiment with something else next time (thyme, perhaps?).
1 Mix ingredients together with c. 5-6 tbsp of cold water (enough to make a sticky dough).
2. Put spoonfuls into the casserole – stir slightly (so some of the juice covers the dumplings). Cook for a further half an hour, then serve.