It was useful to plan menus last month, although we certainly didn’t stick to the plan all the time – it’s been a bit more hit and miss at the beginning of February since the planned meals ended. Therefore – inventory of the freezer has now been done (particularly as the entire grocery budget for the month seems to have been spent already – how did that happen?).
Last month’s menu-planning recipes:
* ‘Everyday’ Madhur Chicken and rice – was lovely – so much so that Mr. E. used the same curry base to make some pork curry later in January.
* Pork and Apple Casserole – was OK (used sage and allspice) – fine to make again. I’m not a huge fan of pork (except when roasted slowly and stuffed with garlic.
* Fish pie (using up left over Sainsbury’s basics smoked salmon trimmings and some very old frozen fish) – very nice.
* Fruity lamb tagine: not as nice as it could have been – I went a bit overboard with the number of vegetables, so it was a bit of a case of ‘hunt the lamb’. We now have 4/5 portions of this tagine in the freezer….
* Chilli con carne – always a winner in our household.
* Smoked salmon fishcakes (again using up some of the 5! packs of smoked salmon trimmings in the freezer) – a bit potato heavy, but not bad.
* King Prawn Thai Green Curry
* Red lentil soup and cheesy chapatis (for lunch – will make a big batch);
* Chicken Thai Green Curry
* Goan fish curry
* Pork chilli with creamy chive crushed potatos