The trick with this is to use smartprice/value/basics (etc.) smoked salmon trimmings which are under £1/pack. We had a pack left in the freezer from (ahem) the 2009 Advent Party which I got out and defrosted overnight.
Make as follows:
1. Boil rice (Tesco Value Basmati does very nicely, thank you…).
2. While 1. is underway, fry off some chopped onions (say 1 per person).
3. When onions have started to go golden, add 2 tbsps curry paste and stir for a couple of minutes. (using up the remainder of a Patak’s Tikka Masala jar from the fridge).
4. Then add 1 tbsp flour, stir in and cook for 1 minute.
5. Pour in some milk and stir – this is the basis of the sauce, so the amount added depends on how much you want.
6. Cook until thickened.
I’d like to be on a ‘Storecupboard Challenge’ in January – we’ve got a fair amount in, so will be interesting to see how far we go. We’ll continue to have the veg box every fortnight, and will top up on bread, milk, eggs and the cornerstone of onions, garlic, ginger and chilli – hopefully we’ll greet February with emptier cupboards and a healthier bank balance….
P. S. I have not fully costed this, but would be surprised if not under £1/head.